Mar 1 2020

Car registration information and Video

#Car #registration #information

Car registration information


Vehicle Registration

  • Original Registration
  • Nevada Dealer Sales | Online Vehicle Registration
  • Out-of-State Dealer Sales
  • Private Party, Family Sales and Gifts
  • Selling a Vehicle
  • Movement Permits | Commercial Trip Permits
  • Motorcycles | Mopeds | Off-Highway Vehicles

Do I Have to Register My Car in Nevada? Top ↑

You must register your vehicle in Nevada if you are a resident as outlined below or a non-resident who meets certain conditions. The initial fine for failing to register your vehicle in Nevada is $1,000.

New residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days. See our New Resident Guide. In most vehicle sales, the deadline to register the vehicle is 30 days from the date of the sale.

Nevada Revised Statutes 482.103 “Resident” defined.

  1. “Resident” includes, but is not limited to, a person:
    1. Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
    2. Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
    3. Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
    4. Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
  2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.


Certain non-residents also must register their vehicles in Nevada. You must register your vehicle here:

  • if your vehicle is operated in Nevada for more than 30 days in a calendar year
  • if you engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada
  • if you enroll your children in a public school in Nevada
  • if you furnish a vehicle to a Nevada resident for continuous use here


There are some exemptions. You are not required to register your vehicle here if you are:

  • on active duty in the military service of the United States
  • an out-of-state student
  • a registered student at a college or university located outside Nevada and in the state for a period of not more than 6 months to participate in a work-study program for which you earn academic credits from the college or university
  • a migrant or seasonal farm worker
  • a border state employee (commute into Nevada for employment within 35 miles of the border)

You do not have to maintain a registration or liability insurance if your vehicle is in storage or otherwise not being driven on public streets. You must surrender the license plates if you drop the liability insurance for any reason.

Out-of-State Business Vehicles Top ↑

You must obtain a permit to operate an out-of-state business vehicle in Nevada. See Movement Permits for vehicles 10,000 pounds and under. See Motor Carrier Permits for vehicles 10,001 pounds or greater.

Vehicle Types Top ↑

Your Car or Truck

Most personal and business vehicles are registered at DMV full service offices.

There is no special designation for commercial vehicles. See Vehicles in Business for guidance and contact information on your business vehicle. If you have 10 or more business vehicles, larger DMV offices have fleet counters to make registration easier and you may qualify as a self-insurer. See Fleet Registration.

Motorcycles & Trimobiles

Motorcycles and trimobiles must be registered and insured. Motorcycle riders must have a Class M driver license and wear a helmet. Trimobile riders may have any class of license. See Motorcycles & Trimoblies for details.

You must have a driver’s license (any class) to operate a moped on public streets. Moped registration is required in Nevada. Helmet use and insurance are not required. See Mopeds for details.

Utility and travel trailers must be registered to be operated on public streets. Trailers are titled in Nevada. Small license plates are issued for trailers under 1,000 pounds.

Trailers are exempt from insurance, odometer and smog requirements but are otherwise registered and titled in the same manner as motor vehicles. See Nevada Dealer Sales, Out-of-State Dealer Sales or Private Party Sales.

Trailers may be registered for one year or three years.

If you are assembling or building your own trailer, you must have it inspected before it can be registered or titled. See Trailer Equipment Requirements, the Construction Affidavit (VP 223) form and contact us before you begin work.

Towable tools (air compressors, cement mixers, etc.) do not have to be registered unless they exceed 70 inches in width.

Many commercial trailers registered through Motor Carrier are eligible for permanent registration.

Low Speed Vehicles, Neighborhood Electric Vehicles and Golf Carts

Low speed vehicles built to specific federal standards may be registered and operated on public streets where the speed limit is 35 mph or less. Golf carts, ATVs and homemade vehicles do not qualify and may not be converted.

Golf carts may be operated on public streets only in designated areas. See Low Speed Vehicles and Golf Carts.

Off Highway Vehicles

All-terrain vehicles, pocket bikes, motorized scooters, snowmobiles and similar motorized vehicles are subject to registration and titling in Nevada. Nearly all OHVs 1976 and newer must be registered. See The Nevada Commission on Off-Highway Vehicles for details.

Off-highway vehicles may not be driven on public streets or sidewalks. There is no minimum operator age or driver license requirement. Off-highway vehicles may not be converted to on-road use. The only exceptions are two-wheeled motorcycles.

Recreational Vehicles

There are no special registration requirements for non-commercial recreational vehicles. RVs must meet pass emissions tests when required. You may need special driver license classes or endorsements for large vehicles or multiple trailers. See Driver License Classes.

Water vessels are registered by the Nevada Division of Wildlife.

Trailers are registered with the DMV.

Restorations, Engine Swaps, Kit Cars, Salvage Vehicles

Contact us with specifics before you begin work.

Title – Make sure you own the car! You can do a title-only transaction and establish legal ownership of a vehicle without registering it. Vehicles coming from out-of-state must have a VIN inspection.

Inspections – Many salvage vehicles, kit cars and antiques will have to be inspected by the DMV and/or a licensed mechanic. See the publications and forms under Vehicle Ownership Forms and contact a DMV VIN Inspector.

Engine Swaps – See the Nevada Engine Swap Fact Sheet (EC 54). Contact the Emissions Lab in Las Vegas or Reno for requirements if the vehicle will be based in an area where smog checks are required.

Salvage Vehicles – There are strict laws, special requirements and several classifications for vehicles that have been severely damaged. Review our Salvage Vehicles page carefully.

Buses and Big Rigs

Vehicles 26,001 pounds or more and those registered under IRP/IFTA interstate licensing must be registered through a Motor Carrier office. If a business has even one qualifying vehicle, all of its vehicles can be registered through Motor Carrier.

Special Mobile Equipment

Special Mobile Equipment such as road graders and well-boring equipment does not have to be registered in Nevada but vehicles are subject to all other requirements on titles and purchases. Motor Carrier offices can issue a license plate and/or special fuel license if needed.

Manufactured Homes, Commercial Coaches and Park Trailers

These are regulated by agencies other than the DMV. See Manufactured Homes and Recreational Park Trailers. The DMV issues titles for recreational park trailers of up to 400 square feet.

Publications Top ↑

DMV Requirements Tip Sheets English | Spanish


Written by admin

%d bloggers like this: